Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Savvy Professionals Series: Networking Is The Little Gift You Give Yourself

I regularly tell my clients that networking is essential even if you don't think you will ever leave your current employer.  At its core, networking is building relationships and we all need relationships to keep us sharp, informed and connected with others who share common interests and experiences.

Networking is really the gift that you give yourself.  Whether an emotional break from your work or the newest piece of information about your industry, networking is a gift.  There is another way that networking is a gift.  By showing interest in others and building relationships you stay in their memory when things are happening.  That can lead to opportunities which is a great gift! 

Recently I reached out to a contact who I hadn't talked with in over a year and we had only met once although we had interacted via email on several occasions.  He was very receptive and we planned to get together.  We have been having trouble getting something on the calendar, but today he called and needs some help with a project.  He feels comfortable introducing me to his client and sponsoring my work based on our interactions and what he has heard from others.  He said the timing of my contact was perfect and it helps him out too!  That was not my intention when I expressed interest in connecting with him.  But then, sometimes we don't know the full depth of the gift when we give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment